2011 Standing Committees
Economic Development - Commissioner Bradley Thomas, Chair
Smart Growth, DCRA,
ABC, Zoning, Redistricting
Government Operations- Commissioner Gigi Ransom, Chair
Community Affairs, Health
Legislation and Policy
Grants and Financial Planning - Commissioner Tim Clark, Chair
Communication and Technology - Commissioner Hugh Youngblood, Chair
Public Safety - Commissioner Sylvia Pinkney, Chair
By-Laws - Commissioner John Salatti, Chair
- Councilman Harry Thomas addressed the commission with his DC Council Report and gave accolades to commissioners for their civic activities.
- Diane Romo Thomas, Director of Community Relations, Greater Washington Sports Alliance addressed the commission on the 6th Annual SunTrust National Marathon, CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield Half Marathon and United Way Relay Team scheduled on March 26th 2011. Marathon will go through ANC 5C. There will also be a Monumental Mile 2011 Kids RunDC on the same day. For more info visit http://www.gwsportsalliance.com/ and www.nationalmarathon.com/kids_rundc.htm
- Chief Kimberly Chisley-Missouri, 4th District MPD addressed the commission with a Police/Crime report
- Officer from 5th District addressed the commission wtih a Police/Crime report
- Announcement was made by the 5C Commission to pose a moratorium on grants distribution until 5C statisfy the DC auditor's requests. (Should be no longer than 2 months)
- Community Member from DC Students Speak requested that the commission work towards placing a crosswalk on Michigan Avenue from the Trinity Campus to the Trinity Square shopping plaza.
- Aaron Rhones of DDOT addressed the commission to work with the Bates residents in developing a solution to slow traffic on P St. Also addressed the need for a crosswalk at Franklin Commons and Trinity Traffic Controls at Park Place Condominiums.
- Leila Batties, Applicant for the Washington Gateway PUD gave brief presentation and requested support for proposed residental development on Florida and New York Avenue.
- Ray Regimbal, Co Applicant for Accomplish Public Charter School gave a brief presentation and requested support for proposed school during its incubation phase.
- Mike Henehan, Bozzuto Development Partner for Catholic University South Campus Project gave a brief presentation and requested support for Streetscaping Public Space Permit Request (DDOT)
- Commissioner J.Jioni Palmer stepped down as Commissioner to serve as Director of Communications and Public Affairs for Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation.
- Motion was passed to purchase supplies for Treasurer and Financial Secretary.
- Motion was passed to support the Washington Gateway PUD zoning amendment which will replace the retail component with residential units
- Motion was passed to support the DDOT Public Space Permit which will start streetscaping Michigan Avenue and Monroe (7th and 8th) by planting trees, extending sidewalks, etc.
- Motion was passed to support the extinguishment SP-1 Zone and return to R-5-A Zone District to the Pope John Paul II Cultural Center. Center will be converted into a 71 residential unit for the Dominican Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist located at 3900 Harewood Rd NE.
- Motion was passed to support the zoning exception to increase the number of parking spaces at the 64 New Avenue Parking lot..
- A Motion was not made to support the Accomplish Public Charter School, but will acknowledge that they presented to the commission and will observe their progress.
- Young Men of Distinction, would like to attend the National Geographic exhibit "America, I Am". Are asking for 5 dollar donations for trip. Donations can be sent to the Harry Thomas Recreation Center. http://events.nationalgeographic.com/events/exhibits/2011/02/02/america-i-am/
- Young Men of Distinction is hosting a food drive at the Harry Thomas Recreation Center. Accepting can goods and dry foods until March 28th.
- ServeDC will be holding Community Emergency Response Team Training from Feb 21st - 25th. Free. For more information, please visit http://www.serve.dc.gov/
Next ANC 5C Meeting will be held March 15th, 2011 at St George's Cathedral, 160 U St NW 20001 at 7pm.